The world expected to be informed, Japan provided disinformation, Germany exited the Nuclear Club, and the rest of the world provided little information.
The Fukushima Nuclear accident did not produce new information as much as it exposed known information that had been ignored for decades. The world has known for at least five decades, the high priority need for waste facilities to store spent nuclear fuel rods. If specific long term waste facilities, deep underground, protected in bedrock such as granite, were not available, then the alternative of storing the fuel rods above ground, in water would only be setting the world up for nuclear catastrophe of enormous proportions.
Currently there are no adequate facilities for storage of spent fuel rods. The US planned for one at Yucca Mountain in Nevada, but it was cancelled in 2010 when the risk of volcanic disturbance was determined to be too high. Its planned capacity was 77 metric tons of spent fuel rod storage. As of 2011 the US had over 65 metric tons stored above ground, in water, one of the most unsafe methods when considering possible threats to such a vulnerable storage method.
Finland, in a joint venture with Sweden, has accomplished the most in its plan to provide a safe long term storage facility for spent nuclear fuel. Called Onkalo, it is designed to keep spent fuel rods safely stored for 100,000 years. The practical challenge is that the project began in the 1970s and will not be completed until the year 2100. The world currently has over 430 sites on which spent fuel rods are stored above ground, in water. Adequate precautions were not taken, so safe storage facilities are not available.
In the Japanese tradition of ‘saving face’ the Japanese government and the Japanese press has been engaged in a strategy of information omission, augmented by dissemination of misinformation and disinformation. The rest of the world has not been eager to expose the enormity of the disregard for safety and human life. Please read the extensive due diligence materials and video.
The risk to our world is significant, we need to take responsibility for our previously irresponsible actions, now, before it is too late.
Millions of tons of Fukushima debris is expected to wash up on Hawaii’s beaches before the end of 2012, six months earlier than predicted, with millions more tons of debris on the west coast of the US over the next few years. Bluefin tuna contaminated with Cesium 137 from Fukushima have been caught in the waters off San Diego, CA. The evidence is indisputable, when, if not now, would be a good time to get productive in solving this health threat. Political rhetoric cannot be accepted anymore.
Please watch this May 26, 2012 Urgent Warning: Fukushima Estimate of Situation – Project Nsearch:
Postscript: June 1, 2012 FUKUSHIMA: Pacific Ocean Will Not Dilute Dumped Radioactive Water. http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=31200
PS2: June 2, 2012 Nuclear Tuna and Media Trivialization: The Risk of Radioactive Tuna from the Fukushima Nuclear Disaster: http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=31203
PS3: June 6, 2012 NUCLEAR RADIATION AND THE CHILDREN OF FUKUSHIMA: http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=31277
PS4: June 6, 2012 Giant piece of tsunami debris washes up in Oregon — Biologists shocked by what they found — “This makes us rethink everything” (VIDEO): http://enenews.com/giant-piece-of-tsunami-debris-washes-up-in-oregon-biologists-shocked-by-what-they-found-video
PS5: June 7, 2012 Former Tepco chief to be grilled over Fukushima disaster – World news – Asia-Pacific – msnbc.com: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47731051/ns/world_news-asia_pacific/#.T9G0YvFVvGI
1) May 25, 2012 Nuclear Power After Fukushima – NYTimes.com: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/26/opinion/nuclear-power-after-fukushima.html
2) May 26, 2012 Japan says Fukushima spent-fuel risk contained | Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/26/us-japan-nuclear-idUSBRE84P0DQ20120526
3) February 25, 2012 Fukushima radiation detected 400 miles away in Pacific Ocean at levels 1,000 times higher than previous readings: http://www.naturalnews.com/035065_Fukushima_radiation_Pacific_Ocean.html
4) January 7, 2012 Study: Fukushima killed at least 14,000 people in the US, mostly babies, in weeks following disaster: http://www.naturalnews.com/034586_Fukushima_USA_fatalities.html
5) February 13, 2012 Confirmed: Fukushima disaster contaminated ocean with 50 million times normal radiation, leaks still ongoing: http://www.naturalnews.com/034395_Fukushima_cesium_radiation.html
6) October 26, 2011 Millions of tons of Fukushima debris expected to soon wash up on Hawaii beaches, western US coastline: http://www.naturalnews.com/033984_Fukushima_debris.html
7) November 3, 2011 Report: US topsoil contains levels of radioactive cesium up to 10,000 percent higher than previously believed: http://www.naturalnews.com/034048_topsoil_radioactive_cesium.html
8) November 4, 2011 Government response to ongoing Fukushima radiation? Deafening silence: http://www.naturalnews.com/034053_Fukushima_radiation.html
9) October 22, 2011 Tokyo to become dumping ground for radioactive rubble from Fukushima disaster: http://www.naturalnews.com/033949_radioactivity_Fukushima.html
10) May 24, 2012 Tepco admits high temps may have degraded containment vessels after meltdowns — ‘Massive amounts of fallout’ released from upper part of reactors? http://enenews.com/just-in-tepco-admits-high-temps-may-have-degraded-containment-vessels-after-meltdowns-massive-amounts-of-fallout-released-from-upper-part-of-reactors
11) May 25, 2012 Unexplained: Tepco “could not measure” amount of radiation released when Unit 4 exploded: http://enenews.com/unexplained-tepco-could-measure-amount-radiation-released-when-unit-4-exploded
12) May 28, 2012 BBC News – Bluefin tuna record Fukushima radioactivity: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18239107
Specific References, Nuclear Power & Waste Repositories:
1) May 29, 2012 Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disaster
2) May 29, 2012 Nuclear power – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power
3) May 29, 2012 Yucca Mountain – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_Mountain
4) May 29, 2012 Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_Mountain_nuclear_waste_repository
5) May 29, 2012 Into Eternity The Movie – Nuclear Facts: http://www.intoeternitythemovie.com/nuclear-facts-2/
6) May 29, 2012 Olkiluoto Nuclear Power Plant – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olkiluoto_Nuclear_Power_Plant
A Study of Spent Nuclear Fuel Pools in the US (downloadable PDF)
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat – Quick View
Figure 10: Spent Fuel Inventories Between 100 – 200 Million Curies … Spent fuel rods give off about 1 million rems (10,00Sv) ….. throughout the world.11 …